It’s been a long time coming, but I’m finally able to post about my friend and colleague Crosby Noricks’s, founder of PR Couture, “Ready to Launch,” a book filled with the knowledge and support needed for fashion PR interns and entry-level practitioners to successfully break into this media-rich career. The book also features a contribution from yours truly on starting your own blog!
The success of popular reality TV shows like “Project Runway,” “Kell on Earth” and “The City,” have inspired many public relations students and recent graduates to break into the world of fashion PR. However, undergraduate public relations programs rarely focus with any depth into the realities of working in this industry and top agencies are highly competitive at even the internship level. For five years, students and industry practitioners have solved this problem by turning to PRCouture, a top destination to discover and discuss the ever-evolving role of public relations, marketing and social media in the fashion industry.
This insider’s guide is the first of its kind, and pulls back the curtain on the catwalk with an information-dense, fun-to-read adventure through the fast-paced world of fashion PR. Highlights include contributions from more than two dozen fashion PR pro’s working with brands like Betsey Johnson, Elie Tihari, Coach, Tom’s and Nine West, as well as top agencies Edelman Digital , Style House PR, and Regan Communications. Topics covered in this insider’s guide to fashion PR include:
- The difference between PR, marketing and advertising
- What to expect from a career in public relations
- Title and salary breakdown
- How to position yourself to get noticed for the job you want
- Actual job interview questions from top fashion PR agencies
- Contact information for 20 of the top New York-based fashion PR agencies
- How to use Twitter as a job search tool
- Identifying personal goals and a career vision to carry you into the future