Over the past few months, I’ve had the privilege to be part of The Do Lab promotion team for Lightning in a Bottle festival. Basically, the promotions team takes to the streets to pass out flyers, hang up posters and chat it up with folks with the goal of increasing awareness with WOM (word-of-mouth marketing). Here are a few helpful tips I’ve pulled together from my experience:
- Manage your time. You may have a certain amount of hours to clock before completion. So, make sure you divide the number of hours by your calendar. We all have lives and even other jobs – this will help ensure you aren’t stuck with a ton of hours and no time left. Also, make sure you are in constant contact with your street team leader – they can be very helpful! Shout out to my awesome lead, @snedmonster!!!
- Know your audience. Look for events, concerts, shops and restaurants, that might draw people with similar interests. For example, if there’s a concert in town that is similar to the music at the festival, go chat it up with people waiting in line.
- Always be on the look out for opportunity. Carry collateral with you at all times: in your purse, in your car, in your pocket, etc. You never know when you may find yourself in a store or restaurant that has a cork board. Heck, you might even find yourself at the grocery store randomly in a conversation about the festival (or whatever you are promoting). If you’ve got a few flyers in your purse to share, then you can turn it into credit towards your hours!
- Collaborate with fellow teammates. I’ve met beautiful people during my days street teaming. If you can buddy up with someone at an event, you’ll get to more people, and give yourself a boost of confidence knowing you’re in it together. Once you’re done, go grab a bite or a drink – work hard, play hard!
- Be creative! When you’re out in the field, you only have a few seconds to catch people’s interest or take a flyer. Rehearse an elevator pitch, but then think up a few message points that you can use for various types of people. Using Lightning in a Bottle for example: If you see a person walking down the street with a yoga mat, talk about the amazing yoga workshops and then lead into the music and speakers. If you’re at a concert, shout out a few similar artists from the lineup they may also be interested in.
Have you been on a street team or have done promotions? Share your tips in the comments below!